BE COUNTER: WHY I JOINED THE BEAUTYCOUNTER MOVEMENT
You clicked over! Thank you so much :)
I KNOW that alarms go off in peoples’ heads when they think of Direct Sales and what comes along with that due to the craziness that is social media. Please keep reading to understand how we are actually something a bit different than the Direct Sales model and why what we're doing is a WHOLE LOT different than anyone else in this space.
The name Beautycounter does not mean just another counter at your local department store that's selling makeup and beauty products.
It's about COUNTERING the beauty industry and stepping out to do what other companies and brands refuse to do - stand up and hold ourselves responsible for our consumer's health and wellness and refuse to formulate with ingredients known to be harmful or potentially harmful.
We do that with our mission in mind and that is to get safer products into the hands of everyone.
The United States has not passed a major federal law to regulate the safety of ingredients used in personal care products since 1938. [80 YEARS!]
Over the past two decades, the European Union has banned close to 1,400 chemicals in the product formulas of personal care products and restricted the levels of over 250 more in such products. Canada has banned 600.
The United States has only partially banned 30 to date.
Since 1938, when the most current legislation was passed, more than 80,000 chemicals have been introduced into commerce and of that 80,000, less than 10% have been tested for their effects on human health. This is particularly true of those used in the skin care and beauty industry.
What's worse is that the Food and Drug Administration (the agency that regulates cosmetics in the United States) does not have the authority to remove harmful ingredients from the products we put on our bodies and on our kids' bodies every single day, day after day.
Beautycounter does these 5 things and they set us apart from so many others:
- Ban Intentionally: The Never List™ is made up of approximately 1,500 harmful or questionable ingredients we prohibit from our product formulations, including the nearly 1,400 ingredients banned in the European Union.
- Screen Rigorously: Using the best available sources, we screen every potential ingredient for information on specific hazards like cancer, developmental toxicity, hormone disruption, and infertility.
- Learn Constantly: There are major data gaps on most cosmetics ingredients, so we review emerging data regularly and even commission our own studies.
- Source Responsibly: We choose the best organic, natural, sustainable, and synthetic ingredients that meet our standards. Over 80% of the ingredients in our products are natural or plant-derived.
- Share Transparently: Every formula ingredient, including known components of fragrances, flavors, and intentionally added preservatives, are listed on our product labels or on Beautycounter.com.
The Three Ways That Consultants (me!) Move This Mission Forward
Finally, let's touch on why we aren't just another MLM (if you haven't seen this from above) or Direct Sales company.
I think it's important for you to know that Beautycounter is actually a Direct RETAIL brand, meaning you don’t NEED a consultant to purchase our products (even though I can say that I am preeeeeetty awesome at helping you choose what you need ;) and you could choose to purchase and support our mission through multiple channels.
This includes our pop-up shops that you can visit this summer on Nantucket or East Hampton, through our strategic partnerships with the likes of Target, JCrew and more, as well as directly through our e-commerce website as you would normally shop online.
We are also a certified B Corporation. The B stands for “benefit,” and it means that, unlike the traditional corporate structure, we will consider people, planet, and profits equally. We use the power of business to help to solve social and environmental problems by voluntarily meeting higher standards of transparency, accountability, and performance.